What is the best method to patch a large hole (2-3 inches) in drywall?

by mmattax   Last Updated August 13, 2019 20:21 PM - source

I have a large hole where a TV wall mount once was (I believe the hole was used to run power and coax cable to the TV). I have since moved the TV and would like to patch the hole. What is the best way to do this?

Answers 6

They sell dry-wall patches for this purpose.

Vebjorn Ljosa
Vebjorn Ljosa
July 21, 2010 20:46 PM

Correct way to do it as instructed on 'Canada's worst Handyman':

  • cut a piece of strapping (wood) that will be a couple inches longer than the hole on each side.
  • put the strapping inside the hole and attach it using a couple of drywall screws so that it is across the hole.
  • cut a piece of drywall that is the same size as the hole, as close as you can get
  • attach the patch to the strapping with a drywall screw
  • mud, sand, paint.

Same process works for larger holes and also on the ceiling which can be tricky.

July 21, 2010 20:50 PM

Use a drywall repair patch. They are cheap and easy to find at the big box stores.

And here's a video on how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvtoikKG318

July 21, 2010 20:53 PM

There's an alternative to @dilbert789's solution when you're dealing with holes this small:

  • cut a rectangle of drywall about three inches larger than your damaged area in both dimensions.
  • score the back of the drywall one inch in from each edge.
  • break the drywall at the score line, and then remove the drywall from the paper.
  • trace the drywall portion of the patch onto the wall, over the damaged area. (the part that's still solid, not the paper that's 2" larger on each side)
  • cut out along that line.
  • test plug for fit, and if necessary, clean up the edge some
  • put down some drywall mud on the inside of the lip of paper.
  • insert the patch into the hole
  • mud over the edges
  • let dry, sand, and paint.

I would still use @dilbert789's answer for larger holes, though, or anything in the ceiling, but I had a few incidents of wrestling with strapping when repairing similarly sized holes (fists, doorknobs, etc.), as you need to hold the new reinforcement, the screwdriver, a screw, etc, which gets difficult to juggle for one person.

July 21, 2010 22:18 PM

Do you have a stir stick for paint handy? Slap some thick glue on the ends and glue that in as your backer. No need for screws on such a small hole.

If you're daring you can just mud the inside lip of the hole and squeeze a plug cut to shape in there, too. But then you run the risk of it tilting all funny.

March 16, 2013 12:26 PM

Dry wall patches like everyone has mentioned are ideal for these small jobs. Otherwise, cut out a slightly larger square around the hole and do the method Dilbert789 mentioned above.

If anybody needs help with bigger repairs and happen to be in the Milwaukee area, feel free to hit up my team. We do drywall repairs large and small: Milwaukee Drywall Pros

August 13, 2019 19:42 PM

Related Questions

Drywall Mesh Patch vs. Bulge? To remove or not to remove?

Updated September 07, 2016 08:09 AM

Wall opening - drywall corners

Updated November 25, 2018 23:21 PM

Replacing Drywall

Updated January 29, 2017 14:09 PM

Smoothen a badly damaged wall

Updated May 09, 2019 22:21 PM