Understanding and repairing kitchen shelf door based on a gas spring

by J. Doe   Last Updated December 06, 2018 14:21 PM - source

From my understanding, a gas spring has more or less unlimited life. However, in our kitchen (1) which is by now more than 10 years old, a kitchen shelf door using two 250N gas springs seems to get old: the springs can't hold the door and it slides down back.

Now please tell me if in the following construction it could be possible to remove and exchange the gas spring which is sold separately or I need to replace the "whole thing"(2) because of the rivets.

enter image description here

(1) the kitchen is of an unknown vendor

(2) I will add the image with the flip side to show the rivets but maybe there is a name for this type of the appliance "metal-frame-with-two-springs" so that I could google for its availability as well.

Tags : kitchens rivets

Answers 2

Looks like this YouTube video answers the question:


You have to release metal clips at both spring's ends to release it, and the new spring can just click in.

German name for the whole appliance is "Hochschwenkbeschlag", no idea how to call it in English.

J. Doe
J. Doe
December 06, 2018 13:43 PM

That looks incredibly similar to "hydraulic trunk lifts" for cars.

You should be able to detach it at both ends and install a replacement.

December 06, 2018 16:57 PM

Related Questions

Can I drill/rivet into my Fridge?

Updated November 08, 2016 08:09 AM

kitchen sink and trap

Updated April 26, 2015 21:09 PM

Guest Post Request

Updated May 06, 2015 10:20 AM